Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Things to Do on Campus!

Hello readers, my name is Juan Dunlap and I will be filling you in about various aspects of my college life as a freshman at Muskingum University. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

After just a few weeks, it became very apparent that there were tons of things to do on campus. As mentioned in my last post, one of these events was the Hot Topic Tuesdays. To go a little more in depth, each Hot Topic Tuesday was covering a certain issue or helpful thing about college. These included Greek Life, managing money, good study habits, employer expectations, plagiarism, A.L.I.C.E. training, and other similar things. For the most part, I found these to be rather informative and helpful.

Another event that quickly became one of my favorites was the church service on Thursdays. I always had a big break on Thursdays, much longer than I needed for lunch, so Chapel was perfect to fill some of the space. I have always been a Christian and from the beginning of college, I was hoping to find a nice church family on campus, and I believe I have done so with the services in Brown Chapel. Their services are nice, because they combine various elements of several different denominations and traditions. There are hymns some weeks and contemporary songs other weeks. After some music, there is a message. Communion is held at every service as well. After the message, a free lunch is offered downstairs and is usually quite good. Thursday Chapels have become a regular for me.

Many times comedians, singers, or magicians are also brought onto campus for student entertainment. During the first couple weeks of college, I attended a comedian's performance in the bottom of the Chess Center. There were actually two comedians, one opening act, and then the main act, Wil Sylvince. They were both very funny. Besides entertainers, movies and other events also happen in the bottom of the Chess Center.

If you get involved in a club, that opens many new doors for other events to attend on campus. The game club has board game days, the ACM hosts the Robot Wars, the commuters have Taco Tuesdays, and many clubs have bingo and other similar events.

At Muskingum, there is almost always something to do somewhere on campus and that's one thing that I love about the college.

Well that's about all for this post. This blog will be updated rather regularly throughout the remainder of my Freshman year. See you next time!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment