Thursday, December 5, 2013

Deciding on Muskingum University!

Hello readers, my name is Juan Dunlap and I will be filling you in about various aspects of my college life as a freshman at Muskingum University. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!
 
The junior and senior years of high school are exciting. It is a time of decision-making about your future. After I had taken the PSAT and SAT I signed up for the College Board and would receive offers from different colleges to apply. This is how I became familiar with Muskingum University. It was in January of last year when I had the opportunity to apply here. I really didn’t think I would attend here, but because it was close to home and offered my major at the time, which was Pre-Pharmacy, I decided to apply. My original choice for college had been West Liberty University, which also offered my major. I had participated in science fairs there for several years, was familiar with the campus, and my mother graduated from there. I was accepted at six different colleges, and I had received scholarships from each of them. They all had positive points, and the decision was very difficult. I came for a campus visit during the winter and met with Mr. Gary Atkins. He was very nice as well as being informative. I toured the campus, and I liked the idea that it was small in size and I would be able to interact with the professors.  I also interviewed for a science scholarship while I was here. Mr. Atkins contacted me several times during the spring. I think he was a very positive influence as to why I chose to come here. When I shadowed in my chosen profession at school in the spring, but later was advised Pharmacy may not be a wise choice for a career at this time. I was told many Pharmacy students graduating this year would not be able to find jobs. In June I was still undecided about where I would attend. I decided to change my major to computer science. Unfortunately West Liberty did not offer that as a major. I then had narrowed my choices between Wheeling Jesuit University and Muskingum. Mr. Atkins was always very helpful to answer questions and he was very patient with me as I tried to make my decision. I felt Muskingum would be a better choice for me, and now that I have spent a semester here, I know I have made the right decision. I was told that it is very important to find a college where you feel you belong and are comfortable there. I feel that way every time I am on campus. Muskingum University is where I feel I belong and I will be proud to be a graduate from here. 

Well that's about all for this post. This blog will be updated rather regularly throughout the remainder of my Freshman year. See you next time!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment