Thursday, December 5, 2013

The Usefulness of Post-Secondary

Hello readers, my name is Juan Dunlap and I will be filling you in about various aspects of my college life as a freshman at Muskingum University. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

Post-secondary education is very beneficial if you are planning to attend college. I found this out first hand. During my sophomore year, I started taking college classes at Belmont College as well as at our school, where the professors came there to teach.  I also took advantage of the Summer Scholar Program at Ohio University Eastern, which I attended for three years. I also completed post-secondary at Ohio University Eastern during the school year. Taking these classes provided me with a challenge. It also provided me with the opportunity to experience what the workload was like at the college level. In addition, I learned time management skills, balancing both high school and college courses. Being involved in these classes helped develop good study habits. I also learned independence and that I was responsible totally if the work was or was not completed. This was different from high school where the teaches remind you and to some degree oversee you to make sure the work was finished. I had the opportunity to take two composition courses, which greatly helped my writing and where I became familiar with the MLA style of writing. I found this helpful with the last paper I wrote here at the college. I also had a junior level English literature class in which I had a writing assignment for each day of class. The class was very demanding and I feel this really made me a better writer. Taking college classes while in high school is a financial benefit. During the school year, the cost of classes and textbooks is free and with the summer program, the only cost was buying or renting the book. Muskingum University accepted all the hours I had completed. After talking with my advisor to schedule future classes, I was hoping to be able to finish college a year earlier. Instead I found that I may be able to finish college with a second major. I am still trying to make a decision which second major I may choose or if this would be the right decision for me. After completing my first semester in college, I am thankful I participated in the post-secondary program. I can see the benefits I have gained from it and would encourage any high school student to take advantage of the program to gain experience at the college level. The program is both challenging and rewarding.

Well that's about all for this post. This blog will be updated rather regularly throughout the remainder of my Freshman year. See you next time!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment