Friday, December 6, 2013

Humans vs Zombies at Muskingum!

Hello readers, my name is Juan Dunlap and I will be filling you in about various aspects of my college life as a freshman at Muskingum University. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

Imagine an entire college campus being taken over by a viscous swarm of flesh-eating zombies. Now imagine the remaining survivors agreeing to take up arms against this zombie horde, willing to fight to the death until the zombies are eliminated or more help arrives. Sounds scary, right? Well that is what happened earlier this year at Muskingum University. Of course there were not actual zombies and people were not really dying, but it still was very intense. Welcome to Humans vs Zombies. This is a game that has spread around college campuses all over the United States. From the beginning of the game, a few humans are selected to be Original Zombies. When the time comes, they are notified that they can begin their invasion. After this, all the other humans are to defend themselves from the recently released zombies; they do this by throwing socks, marshmallows, and other similar soft items. If they hit a zombie, the zombie is stunned for fifteen minutes and cannot attack anyone. However, if the human misses and the zombie tags them, the human then becomes a zombie with a one hour transformation period before they can begin attacking other humans. Great fun can be had on either side, so if you get turned to a zombie, you did not lose the game, you simply are on a new side to win.

In my first game of Humans vs Zombies, I started off as a human. It was fun being a human and trying to sneak from building to building to avoid zombies or to simply get chased by zombies across the Quad. Unfortunately, this did not last terribly long and I was ambushed by several zombies when leaving a building one day. I stunned one of them, but was overcome by the others. Now I was a zombie. On my way to class the next day, I saw an unarmed human walking alone across the Quad, not a very smart move in this game, so I attacked her and got my first kill as a zombie. Over the next day or two, I got two more tags and felt good to be doing well as a zombie. There were also missions to attend for both humans and zombies. These typically involved the zombies trying to stop the humans from getting something or someone crucial to their survival. I really enjoyed participating in this campus-wide game and I definitively intend to participate in future games. Maybe I'll even volunteer to be a game admin in the following years!

Well that's about all for this post. This blog will be updated rather regularly throughout the remainder of my Freshman year. See you next time!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment