Friday, December 6, 2013

The Muskingum University Bomb Threat

Hello readers, my name is Juan Dunlap and I will be filling you in about various aspects of my college life as a freshman at Muskingum University. I hope you enjoy and happy reading!

 It can be very scary to know that there is a possibility that your college may be bombed. It can be even scarier when you show up to college and are told by firemen to leave campus for reasons they cannot tell you. This is what happened to me one Thursday when I arrived on campus for the only class I had that day. It was shortly before 2PM and I knew something must be up when I was first driving towards campus, because the road leading from the interstate to New Concord was filled with cars; there are very rarely more than one to three cars on that road at a time. Everything looked normal in New Concord itself, but it was when I reached the street leading up to my usual parking that I knew something was definitely wrong. The road leading out of Muskingum was just a huge line of cars that reached back as far as I could see. I did not know what was wrong, but I was still going to go to class since I had driven all the way out to Muskingum. I parked, grabbed my backpack, and began the walk up Cambridge Hall hill to my class. I then saw the firetrucks and ambulances. A fireman came up to me and said, "You need to get off campus right now." When I asked what was going on, all he said was that he could not tell me. I could tell by then that the entire campus was being evacuated, so whatever the problem was, it must have been really serious. I went back to my car and drove home. Later that day I found out that there had been a bomb threat on campus and the caller had been identified as calling from New York. The campus was going to be closed until 6:30 the following morning. I also learned the college community had reached out to everyone who could not immediately go home and found places to stay for everyone, whether with staff, friends, or elsewhere. It really felt good to know that I am a part of a community of students and staff that really care about each other. Through the bomb threat, Muskingum's glory showed.

Well that's about all for this post. This blog will be updated rather regularly throughout the remainder of my Freshman year. See you next time!

Juan

No comments:

Post a Comment